The removal of “ZEUS DETECTED”
The notification “ZEUS VIRUS DETECTED” , which sometimes appears on Mac computers, is really a fake message. So, there is no need to worry for Mac users that your device has been infected with a computer virus. But what is it? You see a pop-up notification by a fake website which looks like a real official Apple website. In reality, this is not an apple website. It has been created to make people call the scammers. But remember: do not call them.
The phrase “ZEUS VIRUS DETECTED” is an example of one such notification. There are many other messages, which are in fact a scam. This scary page is one big lie, so don’t believe what is written there. You can be reassured: there is no Zeus virus on your device. The only annoying thing is a small plug-in in your browser or an installed extension which redirects your browser to a fake website with such a message. Hackers want to frighten their victims even more, and all they need to do is pay 250 US dollars.
How is it possible to get rid of “Zeus”?
To remove this Zeus you need to follow the guidelines. In case you do everything right, you will definitely remove the plug-in and forget about such an annoying message.
- You should open the folder titled “Utilities” on your Mac.
- Then, please find the icon titled “Activity Monitor” and double-click on this icon.
- When you enter the menu of “Activity Monitor,” please find a process that takes up a lot of CPU (you will notice it right away), choose this process and click “Quit Process”.
- Hit Go and select Applications. Find the false app on the interface and click on it with the right side of your mouse. Choose Move to Trash. If the system asks to enter your password, do so and then press the Continue button.
- Now go to Apple Menu and choose System Preferences.
- Press Accounts. Then click on Login Items. You will see the list of apps that startup when you switch on your computer. Find the undesired software and remove it by clicking on the “-” (minus).
In case you want to remove this notification in Safari, do the following:
- Click on the Safari in the menu bar.
- Select Reset Safari in the list that opened up.
- Check all the boxes in the reset menu and click the Reset button.